991 The Killers - Hot Fuss (2004)

991 The Killers - Hot Fuss (2004)

Studio Album - Alternative Rock




About the Act:

The Killers are an Alternative Rock band from Las Vegas. Their singer, Brandon Flowers, has one of the most distinctive voices of rock bands in the new millennium.  They have been active since 2001 and have had five chart-topping studio albums.

About the Album:

This is the first studio album from The Killers.  It was initially projected to sell 5000 copies, but to date has soled more than 7 million worldwide. It was number 1 in the UK, where it was on the album charts for 4.5 years.

My History with this Album:

I have had a copy of their second album, "Sam's Town" for a while, but this is the first time I have heard this album. Some of the tracks, though, have been chart hits and so I know them reasonably well.

Review:

This album is good, raw-edged rock, reminding me somewhat of early U2, particularly in the use of open playing, especially on the guitar. There is a reasonable variety of sound, but it's quite solidly guitar-based rock, with some synth (mostly retro sounds) thrown in for flavour. Brandon Flowers' vocals have an emotive edge and power to them that suits the music well, giving an overall intensity to the album.  

The Killers are probably best-known for their single "human" which is quite electronic/disco. I think this album is a better sound than that, rocky and quite raw. I enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to. There's some thoughtful lyrical content also which helps. Nice one.

7/10




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)