994 Girls - Album (2009)

994 Girls - Album (2009)


Studio Album - Indie Rock



About the Act: 

Girls was an American Indie Rock band from 2007 until 12, from San Fransisco. The band had two members, Christopher Owens, and Chet "JR" White. They released two studio albums. Wikipedia describes them as Indie Rock, and Jangle Pop.

About the Album:

Album (Imaginatively titled!) was the first studio album by Girls. It received critical acclaim on release.

My History with this Album:

None

Review:

I don't get it. There must be some quality to this album that the critics liked, because it really did get good critical reception. I can only conclude that either there are lots of music critics who are idiots, or that there is something that appeals to some people, that just doesn't hit it for me.  I'm not going to worry about this overly, as I am here to give my opinion, even if it flies in the face of other opinions, so here goes.

If the guitar was in tune, and the recording was better and the production had made it sound less like it was recorded in a garage, this album would rise to the level of boring. The lyrics are uninspired cliches, the songs and structures are uninspired cliches, the delivery is half-hearted and lacking in any conviction or skill. The guitar is jangly. Maybe that's it, maybe the quality that I have not latched onto is the exceptional jangliness of the guitar, because I cannot see anything else here of merit. It's not hugely unpleasant like having a filling, just mildly unpleasant like the start of a toothache.

3.5/10



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)