950 The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death (1997)

 950 The Notorious B.I.G. - Life After Death (1997)

Studio Album (Double) - Hip Hop




About the Act:

The Notorious B.I.G., otherwise known as Biggie Smalls, or just Biggie, was an American rapper from Brooklyn, New York, whose real name was Chris Wallace. His rapping career ran from 1992 until his death in 1997. He had two studio albums, and two more were released posthumously. Actually, technically, his second album was also released posthumously, as it was released only two weeks after his death.

His rapping was well-received critically. Some people reckon he was the best rapper that ever lived. He was definitely successful.  He was implicated in the killing of his ex-friend Tupac Shakur. Biggie was killed in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas. 


About the Album:

This was his second album, a double, and was released two weeks after is death. It sold over 5 million copies in the USA.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

This album confuses me. There are things about it I really don't like. I guess that comes under the category "subject matter". I would strongly advise you not to play this to your kids, your partner, your parents, your friends, or in fact anyone who could be offended. It glorifies violence, drugs, gang stuff, explicit (and sometimes distasteful) sexual references.  

And that's the end of it, the stuff I don't like. Musically I don't usually particularly enjoy hip hop and rap.  I liked this better than most.  The Wikipedia page has nothing to say about musicians or samples - it seems that whoever wrote it was more interested in what he had to say about other rappers. Either way, it's well done, or mostly so. His voice is a bit smokey, and he raps quite slowly, so I can actually understand most of what he says. And despite the subject matter, at times he's quite funny, and clever, almost witty.

So take from that what you want. I've got to think of a score now which balances some noticeable quality with what seems to me quite reprehensible sentiments.


5/10 


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7dRdaGSxgcBdJnrOviQRuB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOkLQtOMoQQbpri0eRAQrZVjxRnulVweV

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_After_Death


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)