955 The National - Trouble Will Find Me (2013)

 955 The National - Trouble Will Find Me (2013)

Studio album - Alternative Rock



About the Act:

The National were formed in 1999 in Brooklyn, New York, although all the members are from Cincinnati Ohio. The band comprises 5 guys, four of whom are two sets of brothers, and the fifth (Matt Berninger) is the singer, front-man and lyricist. They have released 8 studio albums and have been compared to Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen. Critics like them.


About the Album:

This is the 6th album by the band. It sold really well and critics liked it.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

I listened it through but my attention kind of slid off it. I'm trying again. The predominant adjective that comes to mind is "dreary". For some reason, dreary music seems to do well with critics and the public, maybe because people like something to listen to when they feel down. Matt's voice is naturally dreary, so I couldn't imagine him trying to sing something happy, I think it would fall flat. I can hear why there are comparisons to dreary bass singers like Leonard Cohen and Nick Cave, but for some reason, I like those two a lot more than I like this.  

Today is a grey day outside, which suits the music well. It's kind of a dreary day. The music and voice are laying on me like a wet blanket. There must be something that I like in some dreary music, that I don't find in other dreary music, and I think that good (in my opinion) dreary music is interesting lyrically, while this is, well, not. Not to my mind. Maybe if I listened to it many times I would start to decode the lyrics. They are not cliche-ed, just pretty impenetrable. Or maybe that's my mind trying to avoid concentrating on it. Dull. It's not interesting musically either. The best thing about this album is the cover art, which at least is interesting.


5.5/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/2JhR4tjuc3MIKa8v2JaKze

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6oUwjyvk_PiteIU9Kg5SaL_z0FtfNY7u

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trouble_Will_Find_Me


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)