931 The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (1965)

 931 The Paul Butterfield Blues Band - The Paul Butterfield Blues Band (1965)

Studio Album - Blues





About the Act:

Paul Butterfield was an American Harmonica player who was involved in various Blues bands, mostly as leader, from 1963 until his death in 1987.  Probably the best known is the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, sometimes known as the Butterfield Blues Band, which existed from 1963-1971, and recorded 6 studio albums, and also released 9 live albums, half of them after the demise of the band. 


About the Album:

This was the debut album by the band. Originally, it was meant to be a studio album, but after some sessions that was abandoned in favour of a live album, which then in turn was abandoned in favour of starting again with a studio album. This is the result.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

I like Blues, and so am thoroughly in my comfort zone here. I brought myself up on a diet of Eric Clapton and Gary Moore, and JJ Cale and others of that ilk, and listen to the old masters too like BB King, and Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, and even Robert Johnson. I had heard of the Butterfield Blues Band, but knew nothing about them. I have a deliberate habit of listening to the albums before I research them, and then usually again after. From the sound, I had assumed that Paul Butterfield was British, and that this was an early 70s album. I was wrong, he was American, and this was 1965. With that knowledge, I can see how this is a significant album, somewhat of a bridge between the Blues masters I mention above, and both the Country/Blues/Rock of Eagles, The Grateful Dead and The Allman Bros, and the British Blues scene that emerged in the late 60s.

Thinking it was recorded in the 70s, I thought that the production was a bit flat. Knowing it was 1965, actually it's quite clean, not as sparkling, dynamic or stereo separated as later recordings, but a decent recording.  The songs are a mixture of classics (I knew "Shake your Money-Maker", "I Got my Mojo Working" and "Mystery Train"), and some originals, very much in the same vein. 

It's competent Blues, with a Feeling, definitely leading the way into Blues-Rock. It's a nice listen, and I would happily listen to it again. I probably wouldn't seek it out, though, but only because I have so many better Blues albums at my fingertips.


7.4/10



Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/785WNIAl2zC3OZ6XHjFaIG

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRQKT-Cu2_2S5GVGUuqThDcC70qNVrgaM

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paul_Butterfield_Blues_Band_(album)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)