932 The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (2003)

932 The Shins - Chutes Too Narrow (2003)

Studio Album - Art Rock



About the Act:

The Shins are a Pop Rock/Art Rock/Indie band from New Mexico, USA, formed in 1996 and still going. Their central figure is James Mercer, who sings and plays guitars. They have had six studio albums, and both commercial and critical success.


About the Album:

This was the second album by The Shins


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

This album reminds me of Crowded House, and somewhat of They Might Be Giants, with a tiny hint of Eels thrown in. Lyrically, they remind me of Tinita Tikaram. Let me see if I can explain all that.

The general feel is of Pop-Rock, or Art Rock in the vein of Crowded House. There is a strong presence of acoustic guitar, and its all about the songs. There are a variety of feels, but it's all in that kind of thing. If you like songwriter-strong stuff then you are likely to like this. 

When I reference They Might Be Giants, actually I am thinking of their best-known song "Birdhouse in Your Soul", specifically. There are key shifts and jumps about, and The Shins do similar things at times. Musically it's quite mature in this way.  Also, the harmonies and vocal timbre remind me a bit of Birdhouse.

As for Eels and Tinita Tikaram, this is about the lyrics. The lyrics are interesting, painting unusual pictures, and are often quite enigmatic and opaque. That's the Tinita Tikaram thing. The Eels thing is that when I can understand them, there is a similar slice-of-lifeness.

You might not know any of those references, sorry about that. Let's sum it up by saying it is good, quite intelligent but obfuscated songwriting, and the songs are the focus of the thing here. It's light rock and quite classy. I liked it. I think I could also say it is a grower, having listened 3 times in total, and getting more from it as I progressed.


7.2/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3oTaAwwFP9OhWto75g0nJc

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy4u88AKUauLBJIdAT9fenGUBP4tm_C-v

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chutes_Too_Narrow


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)