936 Kanye West - Graduation (2007)

 936 Kanye West - Graduation (2007)

Studio Album - Hip Hop




About the Act:

Rap artist, husband to Kim Kardashian, highly successful, highly decorated, highly regarded. Currently running for president of the USA.


There is so much more I could say, but it you want more, head over to Wikipedia, his page is pretty huge.


About the Album:

This was Kanye's third studio album


My History with this Album:

As I was listening to it, I realised I recognised some of the songs. Well what do you know?  In my library I have a copy of this. I'm not sure where I acquired it from, but I must have listened to it at least once, and I remembered some tracks.


Review:

I am guilty of huge prejudice. Before listening for this review I was predisposed to dislike this album. For a start it is rap. True, in earlier reviews I have found some rap that I could get on with, but as a general rule I am disinclined to give rap a try. Add to that the fact that Mr West is married to Kim Kardashian. Well, all I really know about her is that she is involved in the reality program "Keeping Up With The Kardashians" which is, to my mind, some of the worst kind of TV. Actually, I say that, having never seen it. More prejudice.  What else? Well he's a hugely successful celebrity. This tends to make me unkindly disposed towards him. This is something I have tended to do for as long as I can remember - too much fuss and I get sceptical. Finally, he has announced he is standing as a republican candidate for president of the USA.

None of this has anything to do with the music on this album. Well, the fact that it is rap does. Id better knuckle down to business - description followed by opinion.

Description:

Well it's hip-hop, rapping over a beat, with some musical background shich sounds predominately sampled. The actual rapping is easier to follow than some (aparently this was deliberate, to make it more accessible at concerts). It doesn't have the charm or humour that B.I.G. had, or the gritty horribleness of Raekwan. It's a mixture of self-depricating and macho posturing. The music used is predominantly soul, but there is a sample from Owner of a Lonely Heart by Yes. Some of it is obviously memorable enough for me to remember it from having heard it before.

Opinion:

Meh.


5/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/4SZko61aMnmgvNhfhgTuD3

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXR4OlatIg5Fpc8HaoBlznnCGXMVJC9Ql

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduation_(album)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)