946 Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Armed Forces (1979)

 946 Elvis Costello and the Attractions - Armed Forces (1979)

Studio Album - New Wave




About the Act:

Elvis Costello is a British singer/songwriter who started in 1970 and is still going. He came to popularity in the late 70s and at that time was considered to be a "New Wave" act, however it's probably more reasonable in retrospect to think of him as a medium rock singer/songwriter.  He had a sometimes consistent band, The Attractions, and some of his albums are credited to "Elvis Costello and the Attractions". Some albums used the band, but were just credited to Elvis himself, and on some albums he used different musicians.

His first studio album was released in 1977 and he has had 25 since. He has had a lot of commercial and critical success, especially for his earlier albums, and he is widely respected for his songwriting ability.



About the Album:

This was Elvis's third album, the second with The Attractions, and the first to have them named in the act name. It contains the single "Oliver's Army" which was his breakthrough hit.


My History with this Album:

I have had a copy of this album for a wee while but have not listened to it often. However, when the album (and single "Oliver's Army" was released, and I was at school, some wag in my year noted that I had a visual similarity to Elvis Costello, and so boys would sing "Oliver's Army" in my direction, for a while. It was one of the least insulting things I had shouted or sang at me, so I didn't mind.


Review:

I never really got into Elvis Costello, although I quite liked his songs that were in the charts at the time. I have to say, I like this album.  Musically, it is varied and competent, definitely "new wave" - in other words, although there are the tiniest shadows of punk in there, this is musical and intelligent and actually fairly sophisticated. With the use of the organ, there is almost a hint of the two-tone about it. The songwriting is clever, with obvious and hidden meanings. Costello's voice is very distinctive, quite nasal in a Buddy Holly fashion. He uses it quite well, but it lends itself better to being sardonic than to being sincere.

I have listened through a couple of times today, for this review, and have enjoyed doing so. It's poppy but intelligent and engaging.


7.5/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3ZAHIjLdPoEmHGMCHtoMpq

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7Hsdhjbl9gVEPVNBhKNpjbuPGC-Dyul0

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Forces_(album)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)