947 Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo (2011)

 947 Kurt Vile - Smoke Ring For My Halo (2011)

Studio Album - Indie Rock




About the Act:

Kurt Vile (not to be confused with the classical composer Kurt Weill) is an American singer-songwriter from Pennsylvania. He sings kind of slice of life stuff in a style that is somewhat reminiscent of people like Tom Petty, Neil Young and Bob Dylan. He would have been right at home in the 70s but was born too late for that. His career started in 2003 and is still going. He has a regular backing band, called The Violators, and has created 8 studio albums so far.


About the Album:

This was Kurt's fourth studio album and was kind of a breakthrough album for him. It was critically well received.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

For some this will be a breath of fresh air, songwriting in the vein of the great folk-rock singers of the 70s. For others this will be a whiney guy with a guitar with a sound that lives in the past. Or is that a timeless quality? I'm a bit undecided. I wonder if his popularity is born in nostalgia for the good old days when people crafted songs and strummed guitars, and it was all about the song, but I guess that's what I like about it too. It's pleasant enough, fairly traditional-sounding folk-rock really, it's only thought of as "alternative" because that sort of thing is fairly rare these days. Good for him. On the other hand it didn't actually light me up with delight.


6.5/10



Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/32a7BrNNTAu7BVb6DcsMLP?highlight=spotify:track:3NyMV8dCdyX35I0fM1dA7r

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZqsyBiYZFQ1gjRJF3IH3TDDrz0JUnnGI

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_Ring_for_My_Halo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)