928 Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love (1987)

 928 Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love (1987)

Studio Album - Rock




About the Act:

Bruce Springsteen, sometimes known as "The Boss" is an American singer/songwriter and musician, known for his songs about working class Americans. He is one of the world's best-selling music artists. He has been active since 1964, but his break came in the mid-70s, notably with the album "Born to Run". His style is mostly rock, but with elements of folk. He has been consistently highly regarded, and has released 20 studio albums. He is famed for the energy and length of his live shows.


About the Album:

This is Bruce's 8th studio album. Although it featured members of his regular band, the E Street Band, Bruce performed most of the parts himself. It sold really well in lots of countries around the world.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

I'm not a huge Bruce fan, maybe he's too American for me, maybe I was put off by comments by female peers on the quality of his backside. Like I always try and do with these reviews, I tried to put these prejudices aside and listen without them.


I was firstly impressed to know he had performed most of the musical parts himself. Respect. The first track which is mostly a capella is nice. The second track comes in with synth that declares it to be very 80s. That's the most dated moment, but it definitely sounds like an 80s album. The music is medium rock, I find it OK, but not hugely exciting in its own right. I listened three times, and right now I don't remember any tunes, or distinctive grooves. The playing is fine, the singing is OK, a bit more nasal than I expected. The lyrical content was really very much what I expected, songs about relationships starting, ending, being wished for, all with a healthy overtone of working class America. It's the Rock equivalent of Country in that sense, or indeed the Rock equivalent of British Folk. Its nothing to be sniffed at, but I'm afraid also nothing to get really excited about either. It's about as mainstream as you can get, with the widest appeal possible. It's fast food. I'm trying hard not to sound sneery because I don't feel sneery. It does the job. I can see why it's popular. It's not as throwaway as bubble pop, it's not as enduring as Pink Floyd, or as profound as Paul Simon. It's not taxing, it's easy. 


6.5/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/5Qcef60m4gcckV24PmPYVq

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrpyDacBCh7CTfsdDNimYc0P114DD1kK4

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_of_Love_(album)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)