902 The House Of Love - The House Of Love (1988)

 902 The House Of Love - The House Of Love (1988)

Studio Album - Indie Rock




About the Act:

The House of Love are an English alternative rock band from London. Their active years have been 1986-1993, 2003-present. They have had 6 studio albums, and apart from quoting from Wikipedia, I have nothing else to say about them.


About the Album:

This was their first album, I think, because there are three eponymous albums by the band. I am reasonably sure that the one that is meant to be on this list is this one. I have just realised that I have listened 2.5 times to the wrong album. Back to the headphones. So I have now listened to the right album. OK, time to get on with the review.


My History with this Album:

None, but I did listen to their 1990 album called "House of Love", more than twice before I realised my mistake.


Review:

1988, a little early for Britpop, but there was an underground indie kind of scene happening. This reminds me of some 1980s rock, The Adventures, U2, The Cure, even Billy Idol and The Cult. It's the sounds, particularly the guitar sound. The 80s was a decade of big sounds and slick production. This has some big sounds, but not so much the slick production, which gives it a raw energy. It's not really radio-friendly, but it is sort of edging towards that Oasis sound that will come soon. 

The vocals, on the other hand, remind me more of Nick Cave, low and somewhat growly, and somewhat enigmatic. Again, another kind of 80s sound. The content seems OK< but I didn't really pick up too much. There are some religious references, but it is hard to tell if they are pro, anti, or just confused.

I've not really been aware of them. They were apparently well thought of an moderately successful. I felt like it was kind of OK, but I was not really enthused by them. Musically, I liked the second album quite a bit better, lyrically, they were somewhat similar.


6/10


The Icicle Works, that's who they remind me of.


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/4O57vEvJFzblkuOn6HyQm7

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9_8438ZD7I-0PuaYFtFbl96U-OAyFgp9

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_House_of_Love_(1988_album)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)