912 My Morning Jacket - Z (2005)

 912 My Morning Jacket - Z (2005)

Studio album - Indie Rock




About the Act:

My Morning Jacket are and American band from Kentucky, who have ben in existence since 1998. They are described as having a sound which is rooted in rock and country but is often experimental and psychedelic. They have created eight studio albums so far.


About the Album:

This was the band's fourth album, and their breakthrough to success. It is described as being spacier and more polished than previous releases.


My History with this Album:

None whatsoever.


Review:

I am finding it hard to know what to make of this album. As I write this I have it on again, my third listen. Maybe I'm starting to "get" it. I don't know how to pigeonhole it, genre-wise, although I guess it has some things in common with some "alt rock" I have listened to. The word psychedelic is used in conjunction with it at times, and "space rock" but I'm not entirely convinced by either label.

So they take quite a lot of stylistic things from various genres. A lot of their songs roll on in a spacey kind of way, reminiscent of Times Like These by the Foo Fighters, but with a hint of electronica (although it really isn't) in repetitions. The drumming at times reminds me of other alt rock bands (but I cannot put my finger on who just now), with unusual patterns. There is one song with elements of reggae. Mostly the guitars are clean, but not always. The drums sound like they have been recorded in a garage, as do the lyrics at times. The singer can sing, and can sing really high. The track that is on right now reminds me of Lenny Kravitz more than anything, and the previous trak had a bit that reminded me of The Who.

Musically, the harmonies are quite simple, but they have a tendency to take their time, and have passages that sound almost like they are jamming, which is nice. It's growing on me. The production sound could be better at times, in my opinion, but maybe that because I like older music. Lyrically, I have hardly paid attention, although the lines "A kitten on fire, a baby in a blender" attract my attention every time I hear them.

It's slippery. It's varied. I think, on balance, I like it, and I like the inventiveness, but wonder what they could have done with a better budget, or if they took more time and care.


6.7/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1UgdV58y1OX2oiTBbTFvlh

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmzP977za2bL2dBZ5wggByKDKv9f0bmWm

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_(My_Morning_Jacket_album)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)