889 Hot Chip - The Warning (2006)

 889 Hot Chip - The Warning (2006)

Studio Album - Electronic




About the Act:

Hot Chip are an indie electronic pop-ish band from London, England. They were formed by two schoolmates as a bedroom recording project in 2000 and expanded into a band. They are basically still the duo for recording purposes, but the other members join them for live shows.


About the Album:

This is the second album by the band, and the first on a major label.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

My first listen was not particularly taken with it, my second more so. Musically it's unusual. Not in structures or even particularly in harmonies, but in sounds. There are a lot of disparate instruments used, many unusually, giving some odd sounds. Some of it is quite synthy and electronic, and at times the rhythms are glitchy, or drum & bass-y, but it can be more mellow. There must be some sort of logic to what goes where, but I cannot discern it. It reminds me of some things, possibly most of Bjork, by being quite unusual in sound.  There is a lot of obvious samples used, and a lot of plinky noised like glockenspiels.

Some of the tracks are quite poppy, even dancy, with grooves I could nod my head to gently Musically I quite enjoyed it. I found that as I played it again, some tracks were in my memory from before. Lyrically it's quite clever at times, with some interesting ideas. I particularly like the play on words in Over and Over. In general the lyrics are not traditional love songs, and there is darkness to some of the songs.

All in all, somewhat unusual, probably a grower. If you like more eclectic stuff you could go for it. I enjoyed it, albeit somewhat limitedly. It's definitely one that I have to be in the right mood for.


6.7/10



Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/25wuY7cXE8zjFnJRiU1ehS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP6nDSqetWNbvtvxh-VGS84VSSJsghPTO

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warning_(Hot_Chip_album)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)