880 Al Green - Al Green Is Love (1975)

 880 Al Green - Al Green Is Love (1975)


Studio Album - Soul




About the Act:

Al Green is an American Soul singer, who started his career in 1955 and is still going. That's an impressive career length. 

His personal life looks a bit like a roller-coaster at times. In the late 70s, after some bad incidents, he turned to Gospel and became a Pastor. Later, he came back to secular music. He has sold a large number of soul records, with a style that is reminiscent of early Motown soul.

About the Album:

This was Al Green's 9th album, and the last to top the US R&B/Soul charts.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

So I don't know if there is a difference between "soul" and "R&B". From my little knowledge, I gather that Ray Charles pioneered soul, mixing Gospel and Blues together. Although this is from 1975 it definitely harks back to early 60s soul, in that the blues and gospel feels are very prominent. I have to say that musically, it really gets me, I think it is those blues and gospel elements, that early Motown feel, that runs down my spine and makes it tingle. It's musically quite varied, in pace and arrangement. There are string sections, but I especially like it when the horns get going. Mmmmm.

Al Green's singing is very good. I have heard of him, but wouldn't have been able to pick him out of an audible line-up of soul singers. However, listening through the album, I get very strong reminders of.... something.... you know, on the tip of my brain.....

So I turned the music off and explored those tiny elements, expanding it out in my mind until I remembered some lyrics - "whether, times are good or bad, happy or sad.." and searched the internet. It's from "Let's stay together" by Tina Turner. Oh. Does Tina Turner sound like Al Green? Not really. Hang on, don't give up. Yes, the song "Let's stay together" was actually originally recorded, and presumably partially written, by no other than... Al Green. It's so nice when my instincts work like that.

The songs on this album are all about love, in various guises. They are romantic, sometimes spiritual, and in no way offensive, and sometimes interesting, but sometimes on the clicheed side.  

The music, though, and the singing. I haven't gone for a lot of soul, and some of the soul I have already reviewed has left me cold. This, I want in my collection, it's a great album, I love it.


8/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3axrKsJqF9tGAR9Nrez4cK

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJHhuu0vGMO3LROygtjZw5pVqM8ZeGhDB

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Green_Is_Love



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)