882 Cheap Trick - In Color (1977)

 882 Cheap Trick - In Color (1977)


Studio Album - Power Pop




About the Act:

Cheap Trick were an American Rock band from Illinois, formed in 1973. They are still going apparently, but their peak of fame was the late 70s. They were known as Power Pop, which is effectively pop-rock I would think. They were popular first in Japan, and then in America. Their best known song is "I want you to want me" which is a staple of pop-rock compilations.


About the Album:

This was the band's second album, and was very successful, breaking through in Japan before America noticed them significantly.


My History with this Album:

None, although their seminal hit "I want you to want me" is on it.


Review:

In some ways I pity America in the late 70s. The 70s were an incredibly fertile time for music, with Prog Rock, Album Rock, Heavy Metal, and then Punk. Mostly, though, these were British things (except Punk), and the UK music scene was truly awesome in the 70s. In America, they must have had some good stuff (in fact they did) but they lacked ELO and Queen and many others. In some ways this album seems to be trying to fill that Queen-shaped hole, but also several other holes at the same time. I know the famous track of course, but that is the most radio-friendly of the songs on this album. The rest sound very varied, from some that sound punk-like, some more rock, some more pop, and some quite... well, glam, I think. These tracks remind me of Sparks who must have been their contemporaries.

Musically, pretty good, quite interesting and varied. Production, again varied and not bad. The songs, not bad at all, but not a patch on classics like Queen, but I should ease off on the comparisons. They are pretty good in their own right.  Lyrically, fairly standard, with a few more interesting songs.

I have listened to the album three times over the last few days and have "I want you to want me" stuck firmly in my head. 

So, all in all, pretty good. there is one small fly in the ointment - it doesn't hang together very well as an album, in my opinion, it is almost like they are trying to be 4 different bands at the same time. Oh well. Still quite a good listen.


7.4/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/2sXJQdHykPYcRQ7xFhwzMR

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cheap+trick+in+color+full+album

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Color_(album)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)