883 Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair Fears (1985)

 883 Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair Fears (1985)


Studio Album - Pop





About the Act:

Tears for Fears are generally thought of as a British 1980s pop band, and there is some truth in that, however having been formed in 1981, they are still going. It is fair to say that the 80s were their heyday.  They were formed by Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith, with a couple of others (Manny Elias and Ian Stanley), who left after a while. In 1989 Curt Smith left too, leaving Roland on his own with the name, but he came back in 2000, and they have been together ever since.

They were one of the most influential bands of the 80s pop scene in the UK, their sound being very definable as 80s pop.


About the Album:

This was the second album by the band, and their most successful. It hit number 2 in the UK charts, and no. 1 in America and Canada.


My History with this Album:

I know some of the tracks, as they were chart hits.


Review:

So, I know Shout and Everybody Wants to Rule the World really well. I vaguely recognise another couple of tracks. They remind me of 80s UK pop, because they are 80s UK pop. The voice has a strident 80s UK pop quality, the production is big and spacey. As an album, it reminds me of Nik Kershaw (whose music I know better) because although it's pop, it's not pointless fluff. Musically it is interesting, with some unusual jumps and turns. Production-wise it also is interesting, while feeling very 80s, it has some curious touches. The sounds, that's what makes it so 80s - big string synth pads, big reverb-laden drums (and a variety of use of drums), big piano, big sax, big singing, the whole thing is big. But interesting.

It's more varied than I expected, and actually I liked it more than I expected. I mean, I like the well-known tracks, but I expected other tracks to feel more like filler, but instead, they are obviously less radio-friendly, but have their own merits.

So, pretty good album. Nice one boys.


7.6/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7y7459SFZReE5Wec4hejv5

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMW0PCH9mjdeHdGYgP2kXYh6g_0OJCaOO

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_from_the_Big_Chair




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)