872 Kings Of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak (2004)

 872 Kings Of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak (2004)


Studio Album - Rock



<Album Picture>


About the Act:

Kings of Leon are an American band, formed in Nashville in 1999, and made up of three brothers and a cousin. They have had significant success, it would seem more so in the UK than in the US, but certainly in both. Their best-known song in the UK is "Your Sex Is On Fire"  They have released seven studio albums to date.


About the Album:

This was their second album


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

It shouldn't be this way, I am sure, something is wrong. This is the same band that I gave an 8/10 to a few albums ago, and on first listen of this album I was really underwhelmed, and was contemplating a 6. Same band. Are the albums really that different? Or am I just in a bad mood? I'm deep into this set of reviews and I'm full of self-doubt about my ability to be impartial.

Of course I'm not impartial, I don't suppose anybody is, really. What is it that I don't like about this album? It's not the music. The music is fine, it's rocky, with some good feels. Maybe partly it's the production (bizarrely the same producers as the album I liked a lot. I think there is a little bit to it, it's a fuller, and more homogenous sound to this album.

No, I have put my finger on it, it's the lyrics and the singing. On this album, the lyrics are barely intelligible, and when I can hear them, they are either bad language, or sour, or both. That's the word, sour. The album feels sour, not really bitter, not angry, but spoiled, like milk left too long. Musically, it's OK. The rest is a fine line, a subtle line, it's like a recipe where the flavour is just overdone, somebody spilled the sourness in, and just let there be too much. And the swearing, just too much and too unnecessary. I don't mind a bit but its jarring. 

I've mellowed a bit towards it. It's got a great cover, and a better name than the next album.

7/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3cqdpAqjVjv5IB8HTruJkj

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBD38264C109AB875

Wikipedia: https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/4032534323944702650/5688825676199847595


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)