855 Ramones - Adios Amigos (1995)

 855 Ramones - Adios Amigos (1995) 

Studio Album - Punk



About the Act:

The Ramones were an American punk band that existed from 1974 to 1996. They were one of the most influential punk bands in the New York punk scene in the late 70s. They have been recognised in many lists as being of the most significant rock bands, well, ever.  

Unlike other punk bands who's style often included colourful dyed hair, the Ramones adopted long hair and leather jackets as a kind of uniform. Also, all members of the band adopted stage names with the surname "Ramone" even though they were not related. The "classic" line-up was Dee Dee Ramone, Joey Ramone, Tommy Ramone and Johnny Ramone, all of whom are now dead.  

Their music was categorised by fast beats, raw, simple rock and short, abrupt songs. Later, they diversified into more poppy music.


About the Album:

This was the band's 14th and final studio album, the name suggest they knew they were breaking up (one member left during recording it seems). It was hailed by some as a "return to form" meaning less poppy and more punky.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

I'll be honest, the prospect of reviewing another Ramones album (I have done two already) did not fill me with excitement, and neither did the album. Maybe my engagement with it was a little cursory, and normally I would listen to an album twice before reviewing. This one got one listen.

It's not bad, just not really my kind of thing. It has the form of punky energy without really feeling punky, as in it is fast but I feel like the needed bite just isn't there. Some of the lyrics are quite nice, I kind of enjoyed "Making Monsters for my Friends". I felt like they were going through the motions, and still being honest, I feel like I am doing the same with this review. Me and the album, just not mutually engaged. 


6/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/5IhnXiHgiPfsuxbrrWsPUB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBnJv6rImVe9sfG7ncfRIOUj93S7NVl6w

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adios_Amigos_(Ramones_album)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)