860 Tindersticks - Tindersticks(1993)

 860 Tindersticks - Tindersticks(1993)


Studio Album - Chamber Pop




About the Act:

Tindersticks are a band from Nottingham, England, they have existed since 1992 and have issued 13 studio albums in that time, and some soundtracks too.


About the Album:

This was their first album, and a double one. Confusingly, their second album was also called "Tindersticks". Hmmm.


My History with this Album:

None, except I feel like I have heard it before. I wonder if it is one I listened to by accident sometime while I was reviewing.


Review:

The singer, Stuart A. Staples, mutters most of the time. The musical backing is simplistic and textured, sometimes using non-usually-rock orchestral instruments as backing, and things are not always in tune. The mixing is curious at times. You would think it doesn't work.

Granted, I think it may not be to everyone's taste, but I enjoyed it. I'm not sure why. I started sceptical, but it won me over. The singing reminds me of Nick Cave, or maybe Leonard Cohen.  Maybe also Bill Callahan. Maybe The National. Maybe it is one of those that makes me think I have heard it before. 

It's not rock, it's not really pop either, it's kind of mellow and dreary, and nods a head in a classical direction, well chamber music (hence the category Chamber Pop). It's definitely not keeping-you-awake music. It would be good music for sitting on the roof and drinking whisky on a summer night. It's about textures rather than tunes, and the textures are nicely varied.

The words - well to a large extent they are hard to make out. In fact on one track I am reasonably sure that the singer has stuffed some cloth in his mouth and tried to sing. When I can make out words I am somewhat reminded of Morrisey, it's kind of Urban Poetry. There's one spoken-word track that is easier to make out - and curious with it.

It's odd and dark with an air of melancholy. If you like odd and dark with an air of melancholy. you might love it. 


7.5/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3uRmNtMwZTaG2FtrXapm9K

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiN-7mukU_RHrpbci9yEsECtFCSmh4bAY

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tindersticks_(1993_album)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)