866 MC5 - Back in the USA (1970)

 866 MC5 - Back in the USA (1970)

Studio Album - Proto-Punk




About the Act:

I imagined MC5 to be a Rap posse. They were not. They were a Garage Rock (and Proto-Punk) band from Michigan, whose main stint of existence was from 1964 to 1972, in which time they influenced a lot, made three albums, and then came back later for a couple of reunions.  One of their guitarists, Fred "Sonic" Smith married Patti Smith for a while.


About the Album:

This was the second album by the band, and their first studio album, It was deliberately less raw than their debut, and sold less well, and also reviewed less well.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

So, as I often do, I have done a bit of digging. First of all, I found that although this album was released after the Beatles' Back in the USSR, the title song was a hit for Chuck Berry n the 50s, so The Beatles Song was probably named after it. The other digging was that this is described as "Proto-Punk", but was released in 1970. I am learning something about the relative Punk scenes of the USA and the UK. In the UK it kind of exploded into existence in 1976, somewhat catalysed by Malcolm McLaren, who had been in NY and had managed the New York Dolls for a brief stint. It seems that the origins of Punk were somewhat in the US, in the "Garage Band" scene of the late 60s, and that's what MC5 were. It was raw, simple, accessible, and deliberately un-sophisticated, all of which resonates with what I know of as Punk.

So, knowing that, I can hear the seeds of punk in this album, I can hear, in context that it is fairly simple stuff. I can also hear the influence of the producer who has (apparently) exerted his will to make this better-produced and more commercial than their first, live album. Apparently, this also didn't succeed because this album lacks bite. I have not listened to their first album, but after the passing knowledge that this formed part of the background to Punk, I cannot hear the energy, dynamism, anger, political leanings, or anything much in this album. There is a certain celebration of being American, and I don't have a problem with that. It's bookended by a couple of 50s rock & roll covers (Tutti Frutti and Back in the USA) which are the better songs. The rest, I guess there are hints of anti-establishment sentiment here, but mostly it's been muzzled and is not that interesting, fundamentally. I have listened to it twice, and as I look through the song titles, they don't bring the songs to mind. They made little impact on me. Not really dreary, just white bread. 

5/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/67NkpPGMcxoIiumOW3oRpL

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbaroU7wiNr10RVPd8TogKpkSCq4AM0qb

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_the_USA_(album)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)