845 Bruce Springsteen - The Rising (2002)

 845 Bruce Springsteen - The Rising (2002)


Studio Album - Rock




About the Act:

Bruce Springsteen, sometimes known as "The Boss" is an American singer/songwriter and musician, known for his songs about working class Americans. He is one of the world's best-selling music artists. He has been active since 1964, but his break came in the mid-70s, notably with the album "Born to Run". His style is mostly rock, but with elements of folk. He has been consistently highly regarded, and has released 20 studio albums. He is famed for the energy and length of his live shows.


About the Album:

This was Bruce's 12th studio album, and clocks in at a whopping 73 minutes for a single album. Impressive.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

My hands are still wet from doing some washing up. Just a tiny bit. As I scrubbed the pans I was listening to a Classic Rock radio station, and they played "Born in the USA" by Bruce. This stuck me as slightly coincidental as I had just finished listening to the album and was mulling over my opinion. This album, that I am reviewing, doesn't feature "Born in the USA", which is a good thing. You see, I deplore it, I think it is one of the worst rock songs ever, and its popularity has marred my opinion of Brucie. I don't need to explain why I detest it (because it is not on this album) but it is an unusual position so I'm going to explain. No, really, I want to.

The words, there are a few more scattered around but the bulk of the song seems to be "Born in the USA" repeated ad nauseum. I'm all for hook lines, but seriously? This is rock, not rave, endless repetition is banal. Also, the sentiment, well it's bombastic, and something that is not true for me. Actually I know there is a bit more to it than that before somebody jumps down my throat. Still, not me, I was born in Wales. Doesn't have the same ring to it. Which brings us to the music. Two chords. Two poxy chords, over and over. I would forgive this if it was a good groove, but it's not, it's generic medium-paced rock, designed to be parroted by the masses in a stadium. Maybe it's a good stadium song. The performances are quite loose at parts. I'm coming back to that word: Banal.

So I'm meant to be reviewing this album. What was it called? The Rising. OK. 2002. Quite a way into his career, although in terms of album releases, only just over halfway through. Oooh, look, according to Wikipedia, it was a critical and commercial success, his first album to top the US charts since 1987. Oh look, also, it is apparently a response to 9/11. I didn't pick that up as I listened. 

This is the fourth paragraph of this review so I'd better get down to business. What is it like? Well, there are 15 songs, which is a lot, and they are varied. Varied in instrumentation and approach, and there are definitely elements of the old Bruce Bombastic rock here, but there is a mellowness that pervades it, that brings in elements of folk, at times thoughtful, and a nice spread of instrumentation in arrangements. I almost billed it as "Art Rock", but it's not really. It's that kind of grown-up rock that you would expect from Mark Knopfler, recent Robert Plant, later Eric Clapton. I know it is an odd thing to be drawn to, but the quality of the backing vocals is very strong. Musically, measured and appealing.

Lyrically, well there is an absence of the over-repeated hook-lines. I haven't dug too deep, but I do feel that it would reward some digging. It feels like a grown-up album, and a far cry from the travesty that is Born in the USA. 

I liked it. I am hearing a new side of Mr. Springsteen. I think this album would appeal to quite a wide range of people, there are songs for those that like traditional Bruce, there are songs for those who like slightly thrashy guitar songs, and there are more restrained songs for those who like subtlety. To be honest, with this many tracks, it's a blessing it is so varied, and it really is.


7.5/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/23vzCh5cDn0LzdGmGWrT1d

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiN-7mukU_RFqvqmtFllVdTqu9avnaE-c

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rising_(album)#Personnel


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)