848 Cheap Trick - At Budokan (1979)

 848 Cheap Trick - At Budokan (1979)

Live Album - Rock





About the Act:

Cheap Trick were an American Rock band from Illinois, formed in 1973. They are still going apparently, but their peak of fame was the late 70s. They were known as Power Pop, which is effectively pop-rock I would think. They were popular first in Japan, and then in America. Their best known song is "I want you to want me" which is a staple of pop-rock compilations.


About the Album:

Unusually for a live album, this was the band's breakthrough to success in the USA. They were initially very popular in Japan (hence the screaming audience on the album). They capitalised on this by touring in Japan, and during that tour this album was recorded. It was originally intended only for Japanese release, but they started receiving airplay in the US, and imports were selling so well, they released it in their home country. It went triple platinum and made their career. In the UK it was released as coloured vinyl, which was rare for an LP.


My History with this Album:

None, although I have heard the live version of "I Want You To Want Me" many times.


Review:

It is well-known that mostly the quality of recordings in the studio will surpass what is achievable by the band playing live, however a good live band  gives an experience that is different to listening to a record. Over the period of a couple of hours, the band takes the crowd on a journey. Some bands are so good at this that the experience far outstrips their recordings.

It is a rare live album that manages to capture that, and provide a similar experience to the concert. It is no coincidence that there are not many live albums on this list of mine. It is also no coincidence that this one made it into the list. There is something about it that takes the listener on a live journey. I listened to this out in the garden in the sunshine. I had just listened to Sonic Youth's album Goo, which sent me to sleep. This album not only woke me up but sold me totally to the experience, and I confess mostly I cannot really put my finger on why. Somehow it has captured a time and a place, the order of the songs, the progression of the album. It is a highly skilled live experience.

The singer, Robin Zander somehow is as clear as a bell, and note-perfect, both of which are highly unusual for live performance. The band are pretty tight, and the drummer is frankly amazing. He has a tendency to show off a bit, but this is rock after all. The guitarist are good, especially the one in my left ear (I'm listening to it again as I write, partly to check I was not swayed too easily on the first listen). Once the band have settled in, they are obviously loving what they do and having fun with it. I think it is the extended improvised bits that sell the thing, like their extended intro to a version of "Ain't that a shame". 

Sometimes, I think the furore over an album is over-egged. This is one occasion where I do support the album. I am sure I have never heard this album before. It really is a great rock live album. If you like rock, I think you should give this a go.


8/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7AqS4luB9Mk7SpNhLTAaBd

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLX66jEixZe1woB1P9uRfjbXAfZACuXd2K

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheap_Trick_at_Budokan



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)