823 Happy Mondays - Pills ‘N’ Thrills And Bellyaches (1990)

 823 Happy Mondays - Pills ‘N’ Thrills And Bellyaches (1990)

Studio Album - Madchester


About the Act:

The Happy Mondays were a pivotal band of the Madchester scene in the lat 80s, early 90s. Their frontman was Shaun Ryder. They also famously recruited Bez as a percussionist (Maracas) and dancer. They existed for a while and then stopped, and have had reunions since. 


About the Album:

This was their third album and biggest commercial success. It is considered a seminal album of the Madchester scene.


My History with this Album:

None. I know the singles Step On and Kinky Afro.


Review:

The best thing about the Happy Mondays in my opinion was Bez, and the spirit that invited him to be part of the band, when all he did was dance bizarrely and shake his maracas on stage. I personally think that this was a genius move, as his personality and charisma almost certainly were an attraction. Of course, as this is an album, the Bez effect is absent.

The music is OK, quite simple, but with elements of rock, electronica, even funk at times. Unfortunately, I find Shaun Ryder's singing irritating. He has a few notes and uses them a lot, but mostly slides down from them. This is somewhat extreme, and I guess the plus is that it is distinctive, but the minus is I don't like it. His tone is clear, just, you know, hitting the note would be preferable.

I'm finding it hard to decontextualise the album, and give it a fair listen. I was not that keen on the Madchester scene more because of some of the belligerent people involved, somewhat because of the blatant druggyness. But I'm listening to this and some of the backing is OK, but the singing and some of the words are really getting on my craw. Sorry, going to have to turn it off.

That's better.

Some of the lyrics are OK, mostly the ones I don't understand. I think my favourite line on the album is the famous "You're twisting my melon, man". Actually that song is OK. Some of the other tracks are OK, but some are either musically facile or annoying, or lyrically so. I'm sorry, obviously some people love this, and I have tried, I really have. There is some good to it, but not enough.


5.5/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/2Qo9lJydzuAmcBUjGOvrMQ

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4V_5khp7ow

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pills_%27n%27_Thrills_and_Bellyaches



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)