806 Gene Clark - No Other (1974)

 806 Gene Clark - No Other (1974)

Studio Album - Country Rock



About the Act:

Gene Clark was an American Singer-Songwriter, founding member of the band The Byrds, and their principal songwriter until 1966. As a solo artist he was not commercially successful.


About the Album:

This was the fourth solo album by Gene. It was very expensive to make, and bombed, both critically and commercially, a blow from which he never recovered. In more recent years it has begun to be hailed as a forgotten masterpiece.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

Public and critical opinion is so odd. How can an album which was considered at the time to be a waste of studio time and money now be thought of as a hidden gem? What are the qualities that were overlooked at the time? Is it possible that like Van Gough it was ahead of its time? And so my insistence that there must be something in perceived quality that is not entirely subjective takes another blow. Why did I even start this series of reviews anyway if it's all just subjective? Well... to give me a reason to expand my listening, to be honest, and because I like the sight of my own writing (like the sound of my own voice) and actually I don't regret it.

However, this has confirmed something for me, which is that my habit of having my first listen of a new album that I am reviewing, that I don't know, in as much isolation from context as possible. Instead of being swayed either by the knowledge that this was lambasted at the time, or by the fact that public opinion seems to have changed, I feel like I have a genuine handle on what I think, and that, after all, is what a review should be all about.

Enough philosophising, and onto the description. It's a collection of songs (well most albums are). Musically, it's got a large slice of Country in it, not so much in the harmonies, but in the vocal performance definitely, and in some of the instrument choice. Where it is not, it is psychedelic rock, and the use of strong studio processing is prevalent. I think the other defining feature is an almost Gospel choral approach to backing vocals. Musically, it is pretty recognisable as mid-70s with the arrangements, and the writing to be honest.

As I am listening now for the third time (such dedication!) I am recognising the songs, which is usually a sign that there is some memorability to them. Fair enough. Lyrically, it's kind of vague mystical stuff, which tends to again put it more in the psychedelic arena than the Country arena. Apparently it was mostly composed while staring at the pacific ocean. Fair enough. Certainly that would be more inspiring that staring at Wolverhampton, for example. 

And what do I think of it? Well there are flashes of things that I like, but in general I found it to be a bit too self-indulgent, and a bit too vaguely mystical in a naive kind of way, a bit too much a product of its time, and a bit too much trying hard to make the voice sound like Country. I have no doubt that if I knew the album well from previous experience, I might have a fondness for it. Coming to it cold, I didn't hate it, I don't object to having it play again while I write, but I wouldn't seek it out. Once I turn it off there is a high probability that I will never listen to it again.


6.2/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/0bHiuso3WXpchgSlfX48uY

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXQjNn0-Kj4iY8CDvd_R4aW84NpteVJEy

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Other



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)