785 Jackson Browne - The Pretender (1976)

 785 Jackson Browne - The Pretender (1976)

Studio Album - Rock



About the Act:

Jackson Browne is an American Singer/Songwriter. He wrote some songs, and did some singing, and played guitar and piano, and seemingly still does all of those things, but maybe not right now.

He started in the late 60s in the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, then writing songs for other people, and finally recording them himself. He has won awards, sold lots of records, been an activist and done charity stuff. In 2015 Rolling Stone ranked him as 37th in the list of the 100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time. 


About the Album:

This was his fourth studio album. There are 32 different musicians credited over the 8 tracks.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

In 1976, if you were doing singer/songwriter rock then it was popular, but that also meant there was a lot of competition. I don't know this album, and Jackson Browne has not been particularly on my radar. On this album I cannot help but be reminded of other rock singer-songwriters of the era that I know better, particularly Billy Joel, Paul Simon and Van Morrison. Maybe even shades of Elton John.

I have listened to the first few tracks several times, but towards the end only once - I kept getting interrupted. I found it to be OK, but didn't get particularly excited by it. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it, and if I felt a shortage of this kind of thing, then I would be adding it into my collection, but I have no shortage, and either think other things are better, or just more familiar.


7.2/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1AqUcQKtf2AQ6rFRKIBei8

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxIAWuMJCEOzeLyBjum6ypHMP37UR6SAp

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pretender_(album)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)