793 Blind Faith - Blind Faith (1969)

 793 Blind Faith - Blind Faith (1969)

Studio Album - Blues Rock



About the Act:

Blind Faith were a supergroup of Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker and Ric Gretch from the band Family. They created one eponymous album before disbanding.


About the Album:

..And this was their one album, known more for the controversy about the cover than for the music, unfortunately. I put the original cover in this review, as I think it is a) better than the US alternative and b) important, because the band were named after the title of this photo. I hope it does not offend you.


My History with this Album:

So, there is a point in my album-collecting history, before which I would become quite well acquainted with every album I got. Eventually I got the point where I was collecting too prolifically for that to happen. I have a copy of this and have listened to it a few times, but not concentrated on it much. I would not say I was familiar with it.


Review:

I try to listen at least once to each album I review with as little context as I can. This time this was particularly successful. I knew that they were around in the late 60s and were part of the whole kind of Cream/Free Rock emergence. I was fairly sure Ginger Baker was involved but didn't know Eric Clapton, and Steve Winwood were also in the band.  I'm glad I listened without that knowledge because it would have coloured my listening.

There are not enough bass guitar solos in 5/4 in my opinion. This album provides one. There is quite a bit of jamming/improv in the album, and rock/blues songs, but a really good variety of sound and feel to them, driving, mellow, bouncy... It really got me in my home ground, and I loved it. Musically, it reminds me of Cream and Yarbirds and OK I'm listing Eric Clapton bands, so that's no surprise. It is tight and excellent and well produced and good grooves. There's a good smattering of mystical meanderings and a definite flavour of the psychedelic in the air. The last track (Do What You Like) is an epic bouncy 5/4 ramble.


Nice one. 8/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7jFuZTgaZzOtGiyAE527ZZ

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz6cAheObZcgC3cr1wCp5hf90GWWW85Bw

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Faith_(Blind_Faith_album)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)