769 Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food (1978)

 769 Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food (1978)

Studio Album - Art Rock



About the Act:

From 1975-1991, Talking Heads existed. They were from New York and they played music that was very distinctive. I have heard them described as Post-Punk, New Wave, and Alternative Rock. I guess I could describe them as Art Rock and be happy doing so. They were fronted by an eccentric character, David Byrne, and they made a huge impact on music, with a strong sound and idiosyncratic music. They grew and shrank in size, sold lots of records, and wowed the critics. They created 8 studio albums, and the hugely-well-regarded live album Stop Making Sense (and another lesser-known live album).

About the Album:

This was the band's second studio album, and their first to use Brian Eno as a producer.

My History with this Album:

I think I must have first heard this album in a car, on the way to a walk at Simonside, in the mid-80s. I was aware of Talking Heads, and was enjoying it. I distinctly remember hearing their version of "Take Me To The River". A few years later I got a cassette copy of the album, but didn't listen to it much. I don't feel familiar with any of the other songs.

Review:

By today's standards, I'm not sure people regard Talking Heads as being odd. However, at the time, they definitely were, they were regarded as edgy, and unusual. I kind of associate them with the birth of Alt Rock, and remember it was "cool" to be into Talking Heads. 

The songs are good solid songs, some of them lyrically quite odd (I'm not really sure that they are all about buildings and food). The vocal delivery is.. well David Byrne. He has a distinctive voice and nowadays it has been accepted, but at the time it was definitely odd delivery. There is a very particular tone to it, which does not lend itself to easily identifying the words. At times he half-speaks, and those times the words are clearer. In some ways it reminds me of REM who were still to come.

The music is interesting but straightforward harmonically. There is a jangly guitar, and some interesting use of keyboards (I suspect some of that is Brian Eno's influence). It's kind of reminiscent of Blondie and The Police, bouncy poppy but interesting. The Bass and drums are a central feature, and elements of funk are scattered in, something I usually like.

It still sounds a bit odd, in a good way, with a definite image and sound. It's maybe not as accessible and poppy as some of their later stuff.

7.4/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/01RJdKvXyz515O37itqMIJ

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfimnwaZdumiiqczUzr2NXLZA9aR9KA1i

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Songs_About_Buildings_and_Food



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)