777 Tim Buckley - Happy Sad (1969)

 777 Tim Buckley - Happy Sad (1969)

Studio Album - Psychedelic Folk


About the Act:

Tim Buckley was an American guitarist, singer and songwriter who was moderately successful and active as an artist from 1966 to 1975. He started out doing folk, transitioned into jazz and psychedelia and then into funk.

About the Album:

This was Tim's third album, and the first in a new move away from straight folk. It was also the first where he wrote all his own lyrics.

My History with this Album:

None

Review:

I've heard of Tim Buckley, but I've always kind of confused him with Jeff Buckley, which is crazy because I know quite clearly who Jeff Buckley was. He did "Hallelujah" and a brilliant album of stuff before he sadly died. I know Tim Buckley did an album called Starsailor.

So I listened to this pretty blind, not really knowing what era, where he was from, what style this was supposed to be. My immediate thought was American West Coast, early 70s. There was a reason for this, which is that it reminded me strongly of an album I found cheap in a record shop years and years ago - it didn't even have a cover, just a sleeve - it was Mark - Almond II (nothing to do with Marc Almond of Soft Cell). John Mark and Johnny Almond were a duo from California. It was through that album that I developed an idea of West Coast Mellow, kind of folky, and similar to other post-hippie stuff, with a gentleness that speaks of watching the ocean and relaxing, maybe smoking something medicinal.

So when I looked up details of this album, I was not surprised to find that it was recorded in LA in 1969. The sound fit. I was surprised to find that the Jeff Buckley I talked about earlier was in fact Tim Buckley's son. I had been thinking that it was coincidental that their voices were similar. No, not coincidental, it turns out.

So, it's kind of mellow folky psychedelia, sometimes more intense but generally so laid back it's horizontal. There is a strong use of vibes and some other jazzy elements. There is a tendency to percussion rather than drums, and sometimes quite soaring vocals, which is where he reminds me most of his son. He takes his time, the songs are measured and some are quite long as a result. It has a kind of Carole King, Joan Armatrading feel, with the slightest hint of Jimi Hendrix thrown in. 

I enjoyed it.

7.4/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/20CYfxjKvqXkCXBhAgOE39

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP8DwHVWRuxx0s1J4EMkbyH_pXoatp4KM

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Sad_(album)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)