734 Ramones - Road to Ruin (1978)

 734 Ramones - Road to Ruin (1978)

Studio Album - Punk



About the Act:

The Ramones were an American punk band that existed from 1974 to 1996. They were one of the most influential punk bands in the New York punk scene in the late 70s. They have been recognised in many lists as being of the most significant rock bands, well, ever.  

Unlike other punk bands who's style often included colourful dyed hair, the Ramones adopted long hair and leather jackets as a kind of uniform. Also, all members of the band adopted stage names with the surname "Ramone" even though they were not related. The "classic" line-up was Dee Dee Ramone, Joey Ramone, Tommy Ramone and Johnny Ramone, all of whom are now dead.  

Their music was categorised by fast beats, raw, simple rock and short, abrupt songs. Later, they diversified into more poppy music.

About the Album:

This was their fourth album.

My History with this Album:

None

Review:

This album has the depth and substance of a cheap apple pie, the subtlety of a brick, and the imagination of... well... a brick.  I feel like I have put more thought into this opening than they did for the whole of their lyrics. One of the defining characteristics of pop is simple accessibility. This is the rebel version of pop. Pop with overdriven guitars. Actually, it's simpler than most pop.

Now, don't get me wrong, I know that this is not necessarily a bad thing. Directness and simplicity are part of the attraction of punk. Tick. So is energy and a driving feeling of mayhem. Ummm, not tick. A small, partial tick. There are a few songs that have the drive of punk, I would draw attention to "I'm Against It", "Bad Brain" and "I Wanna Be Sedated". All three are decent punk songs. Well, decent-ish. Mixed into the album are a few slower, poppy ballady things, including a cover of Needles and Pins by the Searchers. These are presumably part of the attempt to appeal to a wider audience. To my mind they are basically lame. My least liked track was "She's The One" with some of the cheesiest 12-year-old-pining-in-a-bedroom lyrics I can remember, and the rhymes! Somebody shoot the lyricist! Or at least tell me it is meant to be ironic. The opening lines of the opening track rhyme Second Avenue with Chicken Vindaloo, which I can respect.

I'm Against It was my favourite track, it's basically a list of things he's against, and I quite like a good list song. This is a reasonable list song. Apart from the punkier songs, I found it all to be a bit lame.

6/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1DOoSsLl0B79cl3Ss8bxYj

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBnJv6rImVe9REK60JeqFjn4eVXixCT1a

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_to_Ruin_(Ramones_album)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)