736 Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (1974)

 736 Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (1974)

Studio Album - Art Rock


About the Act:

Brian Eno is from Sussex, England. He started his musical career as a synth player in Roxy Music but left because he didn't like Bryan Ferry. He then made some solo albums before pioneering Ambient Music (it was he who coined the phrase). He has created his own stuff, produced lots of high-profile albums, composed the opening sting for Windows '95 and despite this claims to not be a musician.

About the Album:

This was Brian's second studio album.

My History with this Album:

None

Review:

I'm sure Brian poured his heart and his soul into this album, but I find myself not really caring. I think it is entirely understandable that there will be some albums in this list, and right now it feels like a long list, that I find it hard to dredge up an opinion on. I'm tired, I confess.

It doesn't help that the vocals are delivered in an extremely flat way, on purpose I believe, kind of pre-dating Kraftwerk's The Model and Gary Numan's Are Friends Electric in being robotic. Somehow those two are iconic, whereas this is just laconic.

Musically, yes it is unusual, I mean this is Brian Eno, and what's more Robert Wyatt of Soft Machine is involved. That means it would be unexpected if it sounded mainstream. Apparently he was developing his Oblique Strategies cards (an interesting way of randomising creative juxtapositions). It sounds a bit like some David Bowie stuff (Brian did produce three of David's albums). It has elements of Wonky Pop, in that some things are a little out of tune. The production seems unusually flat for Brian Eno, to be honest, a bit ragged and lacking in conviction.

The most interesting thing (for me) are the words. There is a running theme of the Far East and espionage. Some of the words are quite witty and funny. You see I did actually listen. 

5.8/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1IMbtEVdtaFz0PPiq4brLZ

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCF93A3601AC09CE0

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_Tiger_Mountain_(By_Strategy)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)