751 Roxy Music - Siren (1975)

 751 Roxy Music - Siren (1975)

Studio Album - Art Rock



About the Act:

Roxy Music were a British Pop band in the 70s and early 80s. They were very trendy for a while, and are often described along with David Bowie as style influencers in the Art Rock scene. They were fronted by Bryan Ferry who has a distinctive croony-like voice and distinctive floppy-like hair.

In 1970 they started, in 1972 released their first album. In 1976 they had a holiday, but came back in 1979. In 1983 they retired. Like many bands of that era they reformed for a while (maybe for a couple of whiles) in the new millennium in order to tour, and presumably make lots of money in the process, but they didn't add to their tally of 8 studio albums.

About the Album:

This was their fifth studio album. By this time they were hugely successful. The cover, unsurprisingly for Roxy Music, features an attractive woman. This happened to be the infamous Jeri Hall, an actress and model, who at the time was in a relationship with Bryan Ferry. Not long after this she started dating Mick Jagger, and is now linked with Rupert Murdoch of all people. I don't believe I have written more words about her than the album.

My History with this Album:

None, really. I have seen it in record shops many times.

Review:

The album opens with one of the most recognisable song openings ever, this is Love is the Drug, the one song on the album I know. It's all Art Pop/Rock, mostly musically how you would expect but with some more unusual stuff between a couple of the songs. Bryan Ferry croons his way through and after a while you get to the end. That doesn't sound like it had much of an impact on me. 

It's OK, I quite like a bit of Roxy Music, although I would normally gravitate towards the hits. I feel like Love Is The Drug gets a lot of radio airplay on Absolute Classic Rock, and it's not my favourite Roxy Music track. It's OK. The rest of the album is mildly interesting, in the same way that a colourful caterpillar is mildly interesting. I don't think the lyrics are as meaningful as some, and not as iconic as, to pull a name out of the air, David Bowie. I think Roxy Music were really all about the style.

There's one song, apparently one of the singles from the album (although I don't remember it) called Both Ends Burning, I don't know what it's about but I cannot help but wonder if it is about the aftermath of a disastrous curry.

Middlingly OK/good/acceptable.

7/10 


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/5Tpor3YZBVEJ9tWD5L31mH

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNitVGYNCIxFufxc5ldjTpXJG1z4YEZKb

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren_(Roxy_Music_album)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)