741 The Eagles - The Eagles (1972)

 741 The Eagles - The Eagles (1972)

Studio Album - Country Rock


About the Act:

The Eagles, or sometimes Eagles, are a Californian Country Rock band, formed in 1971 and with a longish break between 1980 and 1994, they are still going. They were and to be honest are, hugely successful, and are credited as being a seminal band of the Country Rock genre.

About the Album:

This was their debut album. For something so Californian, it surprised me to find that it was mostly recorded in London.

My History with this Album:

I have heard it before a few times, I would not say I was familiar with it. I know the single Take It Easy, and the other singles, Witchy Woman, and Peaceful Easy Feeling, I remember having heard before.

Review:

This opens with Take it Easy, a song I really like. It in turn opens with lines about "seven women on my mind, three that wanna own me, three that wanna stone me, one say's she's a friend of mine" which is a great lyric.

Some of this is Rock, some of this is more Country. It's a compromise. Some of the band wanted it to be rock, and the producer preferred a Country sound, and he particularly brought out the vocal harmonies that are a strong element of the Eagles sound. Cool.

It's nice. It's kind of warm and familiar, not scary, but comfortable, but not complacent either. It's a decent, crafted album of songs, some with more depth than others, none eath-shatteringly so. It's accessible, and there's no surprise it was popular. It has some heart and is listenable, but it doesn't display the genius that was to come with Hotel California which is a stone cold classic.

I'm not sure what Chugging all night is. Could be drinking I suppose. One of the songs starts with a ridiculous chirpy bird sound. Other than that there is little that is surprising.

7.5/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/51B7LbLWgYLKBVSpkan8Z7

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwurMKqdOuYXo6etUma4USKbFdb1In-gz

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagles_(album)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)