721 Sugar - Copper Blue (1992)

 721 Sugar - Copper Blue (1992)

Studio Album - Alternative Rock




About the Act:

Sugar were an American band, born from the ashes of other bands. There were three of them. They had a short run of 4 years from 1992-1995 and released an album per year.

About the Album:

This was their first album

My History with this Album:

None

Review:

When it started I thought it was going to be better than it was. It's not bad but it's basically another album that relies heavily on having a back-wall of overdriven guitar. This is admittedly rockier than some of that kind of thing, and the starts of tracks have some interest, some nice little touches between tracks, but otherwise there's this wall of guitar. The vocals sound like Michael Stipe of REM and are well down in the mix so are hard to hear over the wall, so apart from one thing I remember, something like "If I can't change your mind, no-one will". There were other bits I could hear but they made little impression on my memory, except occasional patches that I felt were a bit predictable. 

It's OK, but, well that's about it. This was apparently successful in the wake of Nevermind by Nirvana, and so maybe it was a seminal album of the guitar-wall variety. Maybe I'm jaded by the large availability of seemingly similar stuff, maybe I don't appreciate the subtle variations and immense creativity behind this sound, maybe I'm just feeling tired and grumpy, and maybe I just wasn't there at the time when it was a thing. However, after two listens, my overall impression is a resounding "meh"

6/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/4haSyDMB9N6R9BHBO6flMe

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtGOOlh1MPT8Yc39PqxCYIMxr5gB5jZvd

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_Blue



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)