724 Queen - A Day at the Races (1976)

 724 Queen - A Day at the Races (1976)

Studio Album - Art Rock



About the Act:

Queen were and kind of still are, a mega-rock band from England. Their classic line-up was Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon. They were formed in 1970 and took the world by storm, but especially the UK and Japan. Freddie famously died from HIV-related issues in 1991, but before he died they had been working on a last album with him, and their 15th studio album. After that, they continued after a fashion, with first Paul Rodgers, then Adam Lambert taking over vocals, I think officially as guests. John Deacon left in 1998, so Queen are now effectively Brian and Roger.

About the Album:

This was their fifth studio album, the first without long-term production partner Roy Thomas Baker, and the first after they had smashed the world with Bohemian Rhapsody.

My History with this Album:

I first heard this album aged about 13 or 14, with my schoolfriend Tim. We started a pact, saving up to buy records alternately for each to keep. This was initially one of his, but I bought it off him later, and it was one of the first albums we bought. I remember listening to it in his bedroom. I think it was the first Queen album we bought, and we were totally blown away. That was probably 43 years ago. It is one of my earliest albums, it has had many plays since, and I still absolutely adore it. I think it was accidental that in my mid-teens I had such good taste in music.

Review:

I have to imagine that there are people who have not heard this album, and have to imagine that you, dear reader, are one of them. Hi, reader. Incidentally, I think I have one person who reads almost every review I write, usually very soon after it appears on FB. Is that you, J.W.? I find it hard to imagine what life is like not knowing this album, given I have spent 75% of my life knowing it. I try to review these albums as if I was hearing them for the first time, mostly so that I can give people that don't know them a reasonably honest appraisal of the album, so they might know if they should give it a go. Being objective about this album is like trying to be objective about one of my children, but if you haven't heard the album, and wonder if you should give it a go, yes, you should. Absolutely.

This is Queen at their absolute peak, delicious and moist. It is a little on the flamboyant side, as suits them, (especially Freddie). There are a couple of hard rocking songs, and some more solid songs, and most of the rest are multi-part, multi-style songs, with waltzes and vaudeville, and gentle, gentle ballads. The highlights are, well to be honest most of the songs, but Somebody To Love is a masterpiece, as is Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy, and the utterly beautiful Millionaire's Waltz and Teo Torriatte. Their musicality is incredible, and at times it is more like classical music than rock. It is sophisticated and accomplished. It also has some of the finest bass playing I have ever heard (the start of Millionaire's Waltz has some amazingly lyrical bass). Also in Millionaire's waltz is one of my favourite style transitions, after the rocky bit where they pull back to just waltz on the piano. They duck and dive between sections and styles seamlessly. Along with the multi-tracked vocals (100-voice choir on Somebody to Love?) and a similar approach to guitar, termed "guitar choir", this makes for a lush, grand sound.

Along with the incredible composition, incredible playing, and incredible production, there are the vocal performances. Brian and Roger are decent, and take one song each. The rest is Freddie.  You are probably aware that Freddie was considered a good vocalist. He was technically strong, and versatile, he could rock out, but was not the rockiest of voices. The best bits for me are the swoopy down run at the end of Somebody to love, and the tenderness of Teo Torriatte.

Now, I know some people might prefer music that is not Queen, maybe you think they are too showy, too full of themselves, too complicated, or whatever other reason you might have. That's OK, you can listen to what you like, of course. For me, this album (and some other Queen albums) are the pinnacle of inventive, varied, musical, crafted rock. Somehow, nobody else has quite managed to achieve.... this. 

10/10 


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3hfcNo7WWy1Z1ie0nJ8PRy

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnif9Rfb5AdkHq0Q8BSQBNYqzt4Pd91Ek

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Day_at_the_Races_(album)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)