713 Bob Marley & The Wailers - Rastaman Vibration (1976)

 713 Bob Marley & The Wailers - Rastaman Vibration (1976)

Studio album - Reggae



About the Act:

How does Bob Marley like his doughnuts? Wi' Jam in.

Robert Nesta Marley was a Jamaican singer, musician and rastaman, who is considered one of the pioneers of reggae, and possibly its most famous proponent. He did a lot to bring a ghetto Jamaican style to the public of the world. His career spanned from 1962-1981, when he found that carrying on was difficult due to a case of death. He was also a convert to Rastafarianism, and brought attention to it to a wide audience. He lived in England for a while, and released 13 studio albums. 

About the Album:

This was his eighth album and contains his biggest US hit, Roots, Rock, Reggae

My History with this Album:

None

Review:

Yah mon! I do like a bit of Reggae occasionally, and specifically a bit of Bob Marley, as his Reggae is pretty accessible. Some is just too cheesy, or to weird, or too club-oriented, or... well I like Bob Marley.  I have his greatest hits album and play it fairly often. I didn't know any of the songs on this album, but apart from lack of familiarity it ticked all the same boxes for me, mellow, bouncing Reggae, which makes me imagine that instead of driving to work through a traffic jam on a grey Northumbrian day, I am could be lying in a hammock on a perfect beach between palm trees sipping Pina Colada.

The songs, though, are not all about relaxing, they are about various things, social commentary and moral standpoint, and Rastafarian religious ideas. If you don't know the Jamaican street talk code, Jah = God, and I and I = We. There are lots more and I only know some. Some of the dialect comes out in the grammar structures as well. 

And my feelings about it don't really go deeper than that. I enjoyed it, I gently swayed to the beat, and gently wondered what "Dread" means as in "Dreadlocks". Everybody should have an occasional dose of Reggae, I got mine, this was entirely adequate.

7.1/10



Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6Gdf5vvFmoEwcsEV61tXiT

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnvVNd96RFMTrCB3u7lOJzkQHwbptyYe5

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastaman_Vibration



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)