692 Sister Sledge - We Are Family (1979)

 692 Sister Sledge - We Are Family (1979)

Studio Album - Disco/Soul



About the Act:

Sister Sledge are an American Disco/Soul singing group from Philly, originally comprising Debbie, Kim, Kathy and Joni Sledge. They were formed in 1971. Two have died, leaving two officially as the band, but they have included other people as "touring members" including Carol Sledge (yet another sister), Camille Sledge (a daughter), Julie Sledge (no information) and Tanya Tiet, who must have felt like an outsider.  They have released 10 studio albums. Their third, "We Are Family" was their breakthrough and best selling album.

About the Album:

This was that best-selling and breakthrough album. Produced by the famous Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards, and it was a huge hit. Guest musicians include Simon Le Bon and Luthur Vandross.

My History with this Album:

None, except I know the hits.

Review:

Let's get the hits out of the way. We are Family, He's The Greatest Dancer, and "Lost in Music". They are the first three tracks on the album, in that order. By the time they are done I am hyped up into my disco groove and have a tendency to feel kindly inclined towards the rest. Which starts with a rest, the slow Somebody Loves Me. The rest of the tracks are mixed in pace, with some faster ones not quite reaching the disco fever pitch of the openers, but "Thinking Of You" is a great track, and new to me.

And as I wrote that I checked the track list order on Wikipedia. The version I listened to was different, according to the fount of all knowledge, We Are Family is #5 in the running order not #1. Hmm.

For me, there is a standout performer, one Bernard Edwards, who plays the bass. Also part of the production. The bass playing is just amazing disco-funk bass, and the core of the sound here. Ah yes, the sound is disco-funk, but the slower songs probably could be described as soul. The slowest song actually reminds me of the Oslo Gospel Choir. It's musically very competent, and played with great style. Even the strings, which can sound quite workaday, have a great presence. This is some fine disco music. 

The singing is also good, nicely soulful and expressive, very 70s, but very nicely done. The lyrics are mostly fluff, which I think is expected.

Now here's the thing. A couple of weeks ago I reviewed a Whitney Houston album, and I hated it. This, I liked a lot. What is the difference? They are both pop, they are both great soul vocals. I think the difference for me is about 10 years, and this, although it feels very produced, doesn't feel cynical, but feels joyful. It doesn't have 80s electric piano, it does have great bass (really great bass) and that seems to be what is needed to win me over. 

7.8/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/4GSidaoqyGNwaG5mNKmuLT

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9ORYbj76wKtXVDBu21Qs3eCz7pJkC5WF

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Are_Family_(album)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)