681 X - Wild Gift (1981)

 681 X - Wild Gift (1981)

Studio album - Punk



About the Act:

X are a band from LA, formed in 1977. They have not been commercially successful but are regarded as influential in several genres, the main one being Punk. They have had 8 studio albums.

About the Album:

This was their second album, and the most Punk, apparently.

My History with this Album:

None

Review:

I am not knowledgeable enough to understand the influence this album had, so let's just do a description and an opinion then. After all, that's what I'm really after.

This is a short album of short songs. Some sound like Punk in that they are fast, somewhat chaotic, with deliberately out-of-tune singing (there is a guy and a gal singing). They sound like punk singers. These songs tend to be abrupt and short, and I quite like them.

Some of the songs have a rockabilly edge to them, which is mostly in the guitar sound and riffs used. Again, quite likeable.

Some of the songs are more "rock" in that they are a bit slower and more measured, and maybe with crunchy guitar. These songs are OK too.

A lot of the time the vocals are hard to make out. There are songs about all sorts of things, about ordinary life, not really love songs. There's a song called "adult books" which confused me because I couldn't make out enough of the words. What a "Universal Corner" is, I have no idea. 

All in all, I quite liked it. The punky stuff was properly punk - energetic and somehwat chaotic, and I can enjoy that. In fact I probably liked those songs the best.

If you are a fan of punk, this might be an important album to you. To me... it was nice enough but that's about it.

6.5/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6a3a1We83O9GOK6S4EyqiP

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrQRSk_JRU4XWTQxUgCzTzwPTuiyG4eeq

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Gift



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)