689 Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic (1974)

 689 Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic (1974)

Studio album - Art Rock



About the Act:

Steely Dan are a rock band from Annandale-on-Hudson, New York State. They were formed in 1971, and Donald Fagan and Walter Becker were the two stable members. They broke up in 1981 but reformed in 1993, with just the two of them listed as members. Becker died in 2017 but Fagan continues under the Steely Dan name.

About the Album:

This was their third album, and the last while they were still a touring band.

My History with this Album:

None.

Review:

Sorry, Wikipedia, I know you are the source of all knowledge, usually, but you list this album as "Jazz Rock, pop rock". I'm labelling it as "Art Rock". I guess Wikipedia is somewhat right but I'm going to stick by my diagnosis.

It's pop rock, sure, but there are quite a few influences at play here, including Jazz, yes, and the words have a tendency towards the obscure and enigmatic, and the music and production have a tendency towards the clever. Chords are not straightforward, and instrumentation is varied, and it's not heavy, but it is the sort of thing that appeals to lovers of Art Rock. More than anything it reminds me of Fleetwood Mac, but it is varied enough to remind me of The Manfred Man Earth Band, Steve Harley, and less in sound but still in approach and appeal, Supertramp, 10CC and other art rock bands. 

This series of reviews is being enlightening and interesting, and occasionally I stumble onto something that I wish I had known earlier. This is one of those albums. It is varied and intelligent Art Rock, even Art Pop, I might say.  And that's pretty much all I want to say about it.

So, if you are fan of those people listed above, or even just some of them, I think there is a reasonable chance that you will enjoy this too.

8/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/2OUYJtDV6EmLkVyoHSuGIp

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLT1mkqzZkqhsJWRSdmB6kt7hlknTP0MPk

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretzel_Logic



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)