667 Big Star - Radio City (1974)

 667 Big Star - Radio City (1974)

Studio Album - Rock



About the Act:

Big Star were an American Rock band from Memphis Tenessee. They existed from 1971-75 and then from 1993-2010. They have had 4 studio albums. They were apparently influential, but I hadn't heard of them.

About the Album:

This was their second album. It was made during a troubled and angry time for the band. Some of them kept destroying each others' property including instruments.

My History with this Album:

None. I have reviewed two other Big Star albums so far.

Review:

At this point they are a threesome, but with some overdubs sound like more. The deal seems to be that the guitar is up in the mix, and to be fair the guitar is pretty decent. The sound is kind of twangy like Rock & Roll mostly, think Duane Eddy. The songs are musically OK and somewhat varied. The lyrics - so look, here's the thing, I listened to this three times, and I don't think I heard many lyrics that I found interesting. "I have a girl, she's the best in the world, I didn't think that could happen."

I was not hugely inspired, but I was not repulsed either. Maybe it is, at is alleged, a pivotal album in the development of power pop. I don't have it in me to think of it as a great album. Better than their other albums that I have heard of theirs but still a way to go to be at the level of Eagles, Creedence, Fleetwood Mac.

6.9/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/79Kv2xKvtqXrDcY2acvqfT

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL59D13E22E7BDF83A

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_City_(album)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)