639 Lemonheads - It's A Shame About Ray (1992)

 639 Lemonheads - It's A Shame About Ray (1992)

Studio Album - Rock



About the Act:

1986-1997, then a break, and now since 2005, The Lemonhead have had an existence. They are ruled by Evan Dando, who has been the only constant member. Boston, Massachusetts was where they were formed, and their studio albums number 10.

About the Album:

This album, their fifth, was their most successful.

My History with this Album:

I heard their cover of Simon and Garfunkel's "Mrs Robinson" in a film soundtrack, and liked it enough to buy a copy of the album. However, I have not listened to it often at all.

Review:

And the reason I have not listened to this album much is that compared to Mrs Robinson, I was pretty underwhelmed. I've come back to it fresh having not listened for a long time. My opinion now is... meh. 

It's OK, I don't hate it, I'm just not excited by it in any real way.

It's rock on the medium side, occasionally a little heavy. One track musically actually reminded me of Rush, a bit, and that's not a bad thing. It kind of sits between the alt rock style of thing, and the post-punk kind of thing. It has the form of something with energy at times, with pace and rhythm, but for me it lacked lustre. The singing is not strong, or distinctive, or interesting, and the words impacted me only minimally. If By concentrating hard I can find little nuggets to like, the occasional interesting chord or riff.

6/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/1SebZBYa6jg437VYQ8K81y

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPLj3dwmpRnGmy_4CwPkBPYwLELLeiSfO

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Shame_About_Ray



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)