641 Van Halen - Van Halen II (1979)

 641 Van Halen - Van Halen II (1979)

Studio Album - Rock



About the Act:

Van Halen were an American Rock band from California. They started in 1973 with two guys called Something Van Halen, one called David Lee Roth (singer) and on called Michael Anthony. Over the years they had a few changes of frontman, and one change of bassist, until their final line-up in 2020 was three guys called Something Van Halen and one called David Lee Roth.

They created 12 studio albums, which have sold many, many copies. They have been phenomenally successful.

About the Album:

This was their second studio album. You might think that this was a given, as it is called Van Halen II,  but Van Halen III was their 11th studio album.

My History with this Album:

None

Review:

I listened twice, back-to-back, while washing up. There was a LOT of washing up to do, but also it's only just over half an hour. My first impression on the first listen was that it was pretty clichéd rock. By the end of the second listen I felt better about it. Musically, it's not far off what I expected. I have heard Van Halen hits. I thought it might be heavier rock than it is, but predictably it has a focus on the guitar hero that is Eddie Van Halen. 

It's reasonably varied and it has a short classical guitar track of the "look at me, I can play really fast" variety. The rest is songs. The playing is pretty good, to be honest, of ours guitar, but bass (I always enjoy good bass, as a bassist myself) an drums. The general themes are quite clichéd rock fare (and actually the first couple of tracks feel more so). Mostly about love, relationships, women, dancing and drinking, and one track about being a ne'er-do-well. There's nothing lyrically to upset the norm of rock, Beautiful Girls is my favourite. The singing is pretty archetypal rock singing with a penchant for little high squeals which are very high. There's a good number of little asides and comments which make for a more interesting thing.

It grew on me, like I said. The songs got more interesting later in the album. It's generally quite an upbeat (literally and metaphorically) album, so fairly feelgood in content, which is something I can appreciate. It is definitely on the commercial side, hence the poppiness of songs that are quite easy to remember. After a few listens I'm sure I would be singing along. 

7.3/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/3w93PGkmXAmEAdJVvmPbzI

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D2ED43AD05FF153

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Halen_II



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)