595 U2 - All That You Can’t Leave Behind (2000)

 595 U2 - All That You Can’t Leave Behind (2000)

Studio Album - Rock



About the Act:

U2 are a huge Rock band from Ireland. They were formed in 1977 and have been active ever since. They are Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton. They are mega-famous wold conquerors.

About the Album:

This was their tenth album.

Through the 90s, U2 experimented with alternative and electronic sounds. Their previous album, Pop, was not well received, so this was an intentional return to earlier stylings. It sold magnificently well, topping the charts in 32 countries. It was produced by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno.

My History with this Album:

None

Review:

So, the Wikipedia page says this is a return to earlier rock styles, but I would disagree. Actually the page goes on to say that this is a return to singable anthems and rock styles, while maintaining more modern production techniques. This I do agree with. It also says this is a more intimate feel through stripped-back instrumentation and recording in a band-in-a-room way. This I also agree with.

It is definitely different from what I know of 80 U2, which was big and anthemic. This is quieter and more intimate, with some of the kind of lo-fi electronic production, especially on the drums. These feel like songs designed to be played sitting down. 

The music is medium rock, definitely songs, some nice grooves, some hits I recognise, some nice songs I didn't know. It is not unusual for me to like the non-hits better, possibly because of over-exposure to the hits, possibly because I can like stuff that is less immediate. I mostly liked the songs, I'm not sure I would pick out any particular favourites. Also there are none I found particularly irritating. It's a strong album, the song writing is strong. The musicality is strong, the production is strong. Some of the songs are more obvious than others, and there is a quiet gentleness to it. Bizarrely, at times Bono's voice reminds me of Robbie Williams.

And that's probably all I feel like saying. Let's see if I can dredge up a score.

7.6/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/7a5U0GPoAvT3gvEY66FRuN

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBnJv6rImVe8wnIunQEiaJzsmu-HwXBZm

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_That_You_Can%27t_Leave_Behind




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)