925 The National - High Violet (2010)

 925 The National - High Violet (2010)

Studio album - Indie Rock




About the Act:

The National were formed in 1999 in Brooklyn, New York, although all the members are from Cincinnati Ohio. The band comprises 5 guys, four of whom are two sets of brothers, and the fifth (Matt Berninger) is the singer, front-man and lyricist. They have released 8 studio albums and have been compared to Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen. Critics like them.


 About the Album:

This is the 5th studio album by the band, and one of their best-regarded albums.


My History with this Album:

None


Review:

So I reviewed one of The National's other albums and was not very complimentary [Trouble will find Me]. I'm either in a better mood, or this is a better album.

Musically it's washy, in that it's about textures rather than tunes. It's kind of medium rock, but quite evocative. I wouldn't say it excited me musically, but I can live with it. The textural quality is a suitable backing to the vocals.

The vocals - the singer (Matt) has a naturally depressed sound, that reminds me a bit of Leonard Cohen at times. The combination of voice and music gives a strong feeling of melancholy, which I found contemplative rather than oppressive.

Lyrically, it's hard to follow at times, partly hearing the words in the first place, and then actually trying to pick out the meaning, which is often somewhat enigmatic. I have to say it is quite poetic though, in the style of maybe Morrisey.

So the good - it's very competent and confident, well-rounded as an album. If you like this sort of thing, it is a fine example of it. The bad - that's really down to my taste, I don't resonate with it as well as I do with other stuff, either musically or lyrically. I really love the album cover though.


6.7/10


Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/6k54ZuG2Z49HQRbJdO65b5

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxzSZG7g8c8zQnsOg0MJXxMvvazwlCO1a

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Violet


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

840 Various Artists - The Best of Girl Groups Volumes 1 and 2 (1990)

944 Manu Chao - Próxima Estación Esperanza (2001)

591 Harry Smith, Ed. - Anthology of American Folk Music (1952)